By popular demand, as the “10 ways” and “101 Steps” title approaches saturate, I present the 5 Basics of writing “5 Basics” posts to earn backlinks and web traffic. Of course, pay special attention to #5 on the list:
- Write it Today: Tomorrow may be too late, as everyone and his second cousin seems to be publishing “5 Concepts” or “5 Principles” or “5 Basics” articles this week. Seriously. Don’t miss the bus, mmmmm-kay?
- Keep it Brief: The 5 Basics article is not a substitute for the 101 Ways article of yesterday. It’s really 5 basics. Just five. And Basic. Don’t waste a lot of time.
- Promote it Today: This goes with #1. Tick tock… it’s only unique for the next few days. Seriously. Everybody’s onto it already. What are you waiting for?
- Make it Very Specific: This is a secret, until now. The user expectation for a “5 Basics” article is very low… the reader wants to make sure they aren’t ignorant of the basics, hence they read. Many companies use this type of “5 Basics” article to attract less sophisticated potential customers. But readers won’t recommend a “5 Basics” article to someone else. So make it REAL SPECIFIC. Not only will your reader be more likely to pass it along, they will pass it very specifically to a matching target so you get higher quality links and referrals (Hey Janet, this is exactly what you need! “5 Basics of Appearing More Attractive to your husband than a Cold Six Pack” -lol)
- Link to This Article: In order for “5 Basics” articles to work, they have to have popular appeal. Who ever heard of “5 Basics” articles? Well, YOU have so start spreading the word! If everyone and his third cousin starts to recognize the importance of 5 Basics articles, they will work even better! So go back to Step 1 and START TODAY by linking to this article and writing your own “5 Basics” article.